Sunday, September 9, 2007

Utterly Annoyed

Filipinos have this long-standing tradition of hiring sound systems for annual fiestas. In the spirit of fun, they organize discos and a whole lot of gimmicks for the sheer entertainment of visitors as well as residents. However, when does it go out of bounds? When is much, too much?
Our barangay chapel has celebrated yet another year of its existence yesterday, September 9. The good news is the "diskoral" (in local dialect because of a mere fence guarding the disco) was not absent at all. As early as 5PM, their sound system has started shrieking like an angry siren of an ambulance and fire truck combined. Worse, the choice of music is not what you might call entertaining. Imagine having "makulay ang buhay sa sinabawang gulay" song ringing in your ears at least 5 times from early dusk until late dawn! Apart from that, the source of music is about twenty meters from where I would stand, where I would watch TV and eventually, where I would sleep (wasn't able to sleep at all as a matter of fact!). Who wouldn't get utterly annoyed?
Of course, I cannot do anything. If I storm to where the disco is and ask the organizers to halt whatever it is they are doing or at least lessen the volume, I would not only turn out as a complete jerk but also a total killjoy. I am left with no choice but to suck it up! In the end, I slept at around 4AM (roughly the time they finally decided to call it quits). Call it major sucking up!

No comments: