Saturday, October 20, 2007

Am I not Good Enough?

Yesterday, I was scheduled for an interview as a part-time ESL instructor in one of our better-known English schools here in Cebu. I dreaded that day because I never liked interviews from the start yet all I can do was to suck it up and hope against hope that everything turns out the way I want it.

It was set at 4pm so I cam about 20 minutes early. They were quick enough to entertain me as they have, quite surprisingly, proceeded to my exams despite the premature schedule. So off I go and took roughly three types of tests: Language use test, IQ test and pre-Employment test. They also required me to take fill out their very own version of a curriculum vitae.

I know I passed it. I was confident with my grammar skills and I think my IQ is above average basing on the tests I have took in the past. So I waited for my interview, confident that somehow I fifty percent on the way to getting the job.

The interviewer came. He was well-dressed with tie and all but not as intimidating as they normally would look like. The first thing he said to me was "are you tired? because you look like one. we could reschedule this should you be in not well". I was irked a bit because I was not. I even overslept the other day. Maybe, he just thought that my being red is a sign a being exhausted.

The interview went very well. In my standards, I have ably answered all his questions to the best of my ability. However, there was just this big problem that hindered my employment. You see, I am a nursing student and my schedule can go from unpredictable to utter erratic. Despite applying for part-time job with a minimum of two hours, my schedule would only allow me to teach at night. He said that most English classes are in the morning. Too bad for me.

He ended up saying that he will put me on active file and once training for a new set of teachers comes, he'll call me. That is after minutes of him pondering on how to resolve my issue and another more minutes me of bargaining. Guess the job was not meant for me just yet. Again too bad!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

used to work part time as an ESL instructor while full time as a call center agent, maybe a part time call center job would best suit you, its almost always graveyard shift.

Anonymous said...

there is always some other time..take ur time rey

Anonymous said...

apparently good enough man diay ka, naa lay scheduling conflict! sayop imong title, misleading hehehe. wala lang. au2x bai!

crazed_heck said...

@rowena:
cguro pang-part time rajud ko...sad...wa nakoi kwarta...

@ester:
yeah...thats true...there will always be another time...

@berg:
bro, ang title gituyo...wala lang tripping...i don't wanna give it away..hehehe...